Firefighter Marsha Perishes at Christmas Fire  1939
that Charlton has known in recent history.
It was the seriousness of the fire and the threat to nearby buildings that caused appeals of help to be sent to Southbridge, Webster and Oxford, all sending apparatus to the scene. From Webster went Hose 1 and Engine 3, and it was a member from the former company that Marsha responded to a call of duty that meant death.
The loss at the fire was estimated at more than $25,000, and was attended by an error on the part of the Charlton Fire Department that gave the flames great headway before firemen reached the scene. The Charlton Department, responding to a call, went to the home of Harry W. McIntyre at Berry's Corner, miles from the scene of the blaze. Then it was found that the booster tank had become frozen in the run, and was useless in fighting a fire that had gained huge proportions by that time.
Charles Marsha was for ten years a member of the Webster Fire Department, and no man ever to become a member of that organization was more devoted to the work. Since his election to membership, it was said that his life was centered between his home and the fire department headquarters. He probably spent as much time at headquarters as any member of the department.
For many years he has been employed as a shoe operative, and was employed in the finishing room at Bates Shoe Company. A member of the Webster Shoe Workers Union, he was last week a candidate for the presidency of that organization, losing to the present incumbent.
Officials from the Fire Department, from Chief Belmore down, and all of his associates, regarded him as one of the most efficient, willing, and hardest workers in the organization. No assignment was too dangerous for Charlie Marsha; he took it as a privilege to go where the danger was greatest and where courage and fortitude were requirements.
He is survived by his wife Mary (Dalterio) Marsha; his mother, Mrs. Hattie Marsha of Webster; three sisters, Mrs. George Werner and Mrs. Philip Gaumond of Worcester and Mrs. Joseph Jakubowski of Putnam, Conn.
The body was from from the hospital at Southbridge, to await the funeral services at his home, 25 Granite Street.

Funeral services were at St. Louis Church with a requiem Mass at 9 o'clock.
The entire membership of the fire department, headed by Chief Arthur Belmore and the Board of Engineers, attended in a body with delegations also present from the Webster Shoe Workers Independent Union and the Finishing Room of Bates Shoe Company.
Bearers were associates of Hose 1, Capt. Paul Ziebel, Vernon Wilson, George Wentworth, Peter Wajer, Vincent Canty and Ed Plasse.
Rev. J. J. Sweeney was celebrant at the Mass and burial was in Calvary Cemetery. Fr. Sweeney also officiated at the grave. Undertaker Bernard J. Shaw was in charge.
-Courtesy Of
Fire Chief Brian Hickey

Copyright© OldeWebster 2001
send comments/suggestions to: