School Street, Elks Home  1914
Elks Home on the right, School St. Fire Station visible on the left. Local historian writes that Prentice Howard was the American Woolen Co.'s Chaseville woolen mills agent in 1897 when he had a colonial design home built on School St. John P. Kingston of Worcester was the architect and Emory W. Towne was the builder. There were 16 rooms in the building, with a billiard hall on the third floor. Mr. Howard was a great lover of horses. His stable in the rear of the house had all of the conveniences required for the care of animals. Without tracing title to the property, it is known that the Percy Musgrave family lived there at one time, either before or after a lawyer named (William?) Haggerty. Mr. Musgrave was an official of the Perry Mills. Dr. Inez M. Currie had a medical clinic and lived in the building in the 1930's. It was the Racicot Bros. funeral home for several years, certainly in 1943 when the writer's maternal grandmother, Georgianna Jewell was waked and buried from there. The Elks took ownership for several years, then the building was sold to Andrea Grecko and her late husband, then to the current occupants, Michael and Barbara Hopkins, who appear to be converting the former stable, which was turned into a hall by the Elks.
-Courtesy Of
Barbara Clark

Copyright© OldeWebster 2001
send comments/suggestions to:
webmaster@oldewebster.com