The signing of the Armistice in Korea this past week has brought joy and hope to the hearts of many families, who are looking forward to the return of their young men from the front lines after months of anxiety. To at least seven other families in the community, the end of combat comes too late for their loved ones, five of whom were killed during the three years of fighting, with two listed as still missing.

Killed after the outbreak of hostilities in Korea were the following sons and one daughter:

GM,2-C Roland Morrissette, whose family moved to Millbury, although he entered servcie from Webster in Aug, 1950. He lived at 8 Robinson St. and was a graduate of St. Louis High. He died of wounds while enroute from Korea to Japan.
Lieut. Margaret Kennedy, an Army Nurse, killed on a Pacific island en route to Korea, Sept. 1950.
Pvt. Edward Urbanowski, killed in action, Sept.1950.
Cpl. Albert Forand, first reported missing in action then KIA Feb. 1951.
Sgt. Raoul O. Blanchette, of North Grosvenordale, CT, formerly of Webster, killed in action Dec. 1951.
Capt. Roger Meagher and Sgt. Irving Tourtellotte, both of whom were reported missing in action in Nov. 1950. (Both were declared KIA in 1954)


Lt. (jg) Margaret Grace Kennedy

Webster TIMES Sept. 21, 1950


LT. (jg) Margaret Kennedy on Way to Korean Front, Webster's First Casualty

First from Webster to be killed in the Korean War is a woman, Lt. (jg) Margaret Kennedy, 27, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Kennedy, May Street.

Word of the death of the Webster Naval nurse was contained in a telegram received yesterday by the parents, states that she was one of 26 who were killed in the crash of a Navy Transport plane Sept. 9, 1950, off Kwajalein, the Pacific's worst military air accident.

Not only is Lt. Kennedy the first woman to give her life, but the first woman in any war to be killed, and who claimed Webster for her home.

News of the death of their daughter was received by her parents in the following telegram: "It is with deep regret that I officially report the death of your daughter, Lt. (jg) Margaret Grace Kennedy, USNR, on 9 September, as a result of a plane crash which occurred in Kwajalein, in the Marshall Islands.
"When further details concerning recovery of remains are received, you will be informed promptly.
"Your daughter dies while serving her country and in the performance of her duty. Admiral John W. Roper, Chief of Naval Personnel.

Miss Kennedy served as a naval nurse in World War II, and at the end of the war, entered Denver University, graduating last year. She recently re-entered the Naval Service, and was stationed at San Diego. She volunteered for overseas duty and was on her way to the theater of war when the plane disaster occurred.

She was born in Webster, attended school here and graduated from Bartlett High School. She entered Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and graduated from the training school, later entering the service in World War II.

Surviving are her parents, a sister, Helen Kennedy in California, and a brother, Thomas of Webster, who served in World War II and was a member of L Company, which was Federalized from here.


Pvt. Edward Urbanowski

Webster TIMES October 26, 1950


Pvt. Edward Urbanowski, 18, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Urbanowski, was killed in Korea on Sept. 14, according to a telegram received by the family Sunday morning.

He had been overseas since April, 1949, and was stationed at Fort Dix beofre going overseas, serving with Co. A, 9th Infantry, Second Division.

He is the second son of John Urbanowski to be killed in action in his country's service. Joseph Urbanowski, his brother, was killed in Germany in World War II on March 3, 1945.

The body of Joseph was one of the first to be returned to Webster for burial in St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Previous to his enlistment, he was employed at the Grosvenordale Mills. His father, John Urbanowski, died on Sept. 5 of this year, the family living at 48 1/2 Whitcomb Street. He had attended St. Joseph School.

He leaves two brothers and two sisters, Stanley of Worcester, William of Webster, Mrs. Helen Napierata and Mrs. Genevieve Stelmach of Webster.


Sgt. Raoul Omer Blanchette

Webster TIMES December 13, 1951


Sgt. Raoul Omer Blanchette, son of Mr. and Mrs. Rowell Blanchette, North Grosvenordale, Conn., formerly of Webster, has been killed in action in Korea, according to a Department of Defense telegram received by his parents.

A native of Webster, Sgt. Blanchette graduated from Bartlett High School, enlisting from here shortly following graduation. He lived with his family on East Main Street and was familiarly known as "Blackie". The family moved to North Grosvenordale six months ago.

He had been in the Army for four years amd prior to the outbreak of Korean hostilities had been on occuaption duty in that country for 18 months. He was a member of the field artillery.

Besides his parents, he is survived by four sisters, Mrs. Albert Durand, Mrs. Robert Rowe, both of North Grosvenordale, Mrs. Lionel Bruneau of this town and Mrs. Omer Menard of West Thompson.


Pfc. Albert P. Forand


Webster TIMES June 28, 1951


Was previously reported missing

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Forand, 31 West Main Street, Dudley, have been notified that their son, Pfc. Albert P. Forand, was killed in action in Korea on February 12, 1951.

According to a War Department communique, Forand was previously reported as missing in action. The telegram was signed by Major General William E. Bergin.

A native of Dudley, Forand attended St. Anne's grammar school. Following graduation he was employed at Bates Shoe Company leaving there to enlist in the U.S. Army on his seventeenth birthday.

He served in both the European and Pacific Theatres of operation during World War II and, when hostilities broke out in Korea, was stationed in Japan. His division was among the first to enter combat with North Korean and Chinese led troops.

He is the first young man of the community killed in Korea whose body had been returned to the United States, and the first from Dudley to give his life.

Four other sons of Mr. and Mrs. Forand served during World War II and a fifth, Gerard, is currently stationed at Boston with the U.S. Marine Corps.


Gm. 2-C Roland J. Morrissette


Webster TIMES Aug. 17, 1950



Gm. 2-C Roland J. Morrissette, 26, a native of Webster and graduate of St. Louis High School, died of wounds while enroute from Korea to Japan.

The family lived at 8 Robinson Street for many years until 18 months ago when they moved to Millbury and now live at 11 West St. in that town.

Mrs. Helen Morrissette, the mother, received word from the Navy Dept. Friday that her son had been wounded and Monday received the message of his death.

The message states that he was wounded while serving aboard a ship in the Korean area and died on another ship on the way to Yokosuka Hospital in Japan.

He was a veteran of World War II and enlisted in the Navy while living here shortly after his graduation from St. Louis High School. He re-enlisted in 1944 for six years.

Another brother Richard, also a graduate of St. Louis High, is in the Navy.

Besides his mother and brother he is survived by a sister Theresa, wife of Peter Mongeau, of Millbury.


Sgt. Irving Tourtellotte


Webster TIMES January 7, 1954


Mrs. Catherine Hejwosz, 405 High St., received a War Dept. Telegram notifying her that her son Sgt. Irving Tourtellotte, missing in action in Korea since Nov. 2, 1950, has been declared dead.

Sgt. Tourtellotte was a member of the First Cavalry Division. He attended Bartlett High School and Cole Trade in Southbridge.

He is survived by his mother Mrs. Catherine Hejwosz; one sister, Mrs. Doris Hryzan of Webster; and three brothers, William of East Brimfield and Howard and Edward Tourtellotte, both of Webster.



First Lt. Roger F. Meagher


Webster Times March 18, 1954


The War Department informed Mrs. Roger (Kozicz) Meagher, 18 George St., this week that her husband First Lt. Roger F. Meagher, 32, was killed in action in North Korea, Nov. 3, 1950. He had previously been reported as missing in action.

Lt. Meagher was one of the original members of L Company at the time of their formation before World War II. He previously served with a Worcester Company. He is a graduate of Bartlett High School and served in Europe during World War II. He was sent to Korea in July of 1950 and had been serving with the Eighth Calvary Regiment. He served as assistant regimental supply officer for the 181st Regiment, Mass. National Guard and held that post until appointed commanding officer of Co. L of Webster on July 1, 1948. He returned to active duty in the latter part of 1948 and was enrolled in the infantry associate training course at Fort Benning.

Besides his wife he leaves two sons, Michael John, 10 and Brian William, 7; his mother Mrs. Elizabeth Meagher of Norfolk, Va.; a brother, Henry Meagher of Webster; three sisters, Mrs. Bernice Cregg and Mrs. Eileen Capozzoli of Webster and Mrs. Hazel Dion of Norfolk, Va.



Copyright© OldeWebster 2001
send comments/suggestions to: