WEBSTER DISTRICT HOSPITAL
FOUNDED IN 1929
Webster District Hospital was established in 1929, when, following a series of meeting by doctors and interested citizens, it was voted to form a corporation and take over the building known as the A.J. Bates homestead on Thompson Road. This building had previously been used as a maternity hospital.
Up to this time, there had never been a hospital in Webster, and patients were taken to Worcester hospitals when such treatment was necessary. Because of the large number of people who made such trips, the town purchased an ambulance long before there was any hospital here.
Until 1934, the hospital building had been leased from the American Woolen Co. owners, but it was purchased outright, together with the surrounding spacious grounds that year.
For 26 years, this building served as the only hospital in the area until the modern brick hospital was opened in November 1955 on the same site but to the rear of the original Bates homestead. Within a short period of time, the hospital, built at a cost of more than $850,000, realized the need for expansion. Additional funds were raised by general subscription throughout Webster-Dudley and area. The amount raised was also supplemented by a generous gift from the Hubbard family, benefactors of the present Hubbard Regional Hospital.
First president of the corporation which established Webster District Hospital was Sherman L. Whipple, Jr., then engaged in manufacturing in Webster. He remained as head of the board until his resignation in 1932. Serving on the first Board of Directors were two women who had long been interested in the establishment of the hospital. They were Miss Adeline Janakowski and Miss Mary D. Clarke. Vice Presidents were: John F. Reardon of Thompson, Alfred M. Chaffee of Oxford, and Ralph K. Hubbard of Dudley. Charles B. Robba served as secretary, with Harold A. Wilcox as treasurer.
Directors were: Dr. George C. Littlefield, Dr. Leslie R. Bragg, Dr. Joseph N. Roy, Dr. William E. O'Shea, Luman H. Tiffany, William C. Klebart, Albert E. Shaw, together with the aforementioned.
At the annual meeting in 1932, Mr. Whipple resigned and Ralph K. Hubbard was elected president, serving in this capacity until 1952, when he was elevated to the position of President Emeritus for life. George F. White was elected president to replace Hubbard. Officers of the hospital during his tenure included Edward H. Wagner, Ernest R. McGuinness, and Joseph A. Patenaude, vice presidents; William A. Cash, treasurer; and Atty. Abraham Heller, secretary.
Ralph K. Hubbard and his family were great benefactors to the hospital. Among their outstanding gifts was Hubbard House, the nurses' home which was erected as a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Hubbard and presented to the hospital, fully equipped, in 1938. The hospital board voted to change the name in 1968, recognizing the contributions of the Hubbard family.
CAPT. JOHN BATES "BRICK ENDS"
Capt. John Bates House, a handsome 19th century Federal Style house, Thompson
Road, is impressive architecturally as well as historically significant.
who we have heard our parents speak of as Grand Dad and Squire Bates..."
In 1783, "to the shore of our beautiful lake came John Bates and his family,
and here also came his parents Jacob and Molly Bates to end their days near their
Copyright© OldeWebster 2001
send comments/suggestions to: