12 -- Original railroad passenger depot sold and torn down, new one opened,
Emil Fritzsche purchased from Oscar Dugas of Putnam the bathing beach
and rights at Colonial Park,1925.
The Shea Block at the junction of Main and
High Sts. was sold by Mrs. Evelyn E. Shea to Santo J. DiDonato. Prior to a fire
on May 4, 1961, the structure housed Shea's Toggery Shop plus various offices
and businesses, 1963.
The former administration, classroom and dining building
at Webster Academy destroyed by fire more than a year ago, was razed by LaPlante
Bros. Construction Co. Built as the Webster Lake Hotel shortly after World War
I, the building was used as a camp and as a restaurant before Webster Academy
was established. The school was reopened for the summer operating out of the former
Dug-Out building at Colonial Park, 1974.
July 13 -- Committee named
to plan permanent war memorial for Webster, 1944.
Webster-Dudley Business Bureau
outline plans to create a parking area for downtown which would accomodate about
200 cars, 1949.
Three dwellings on West Main Street razed by John Delisio to
make way for new brick building leased to A & P Stores, 1950.
formerly of Webster, was the co-recipient of a $10,000 Planning Grant for the
National Endowment for the Arts to be used to write a one-hour television opera
libretto for St. Louis composer Harold Blumenfield, 1974.
14 -- Justin Herideen and Bernard Kozlowski, owner of property near Union
Point, announced plans for a recreation park on their land, 1949.
Prince, senior at Springfield College, named coach at St. Louis High, 1950.
Direct Line, Inc., bus line, owned by Mrs. Doris L. Haggery, was sold to Cazeault
Brothers of Oxford, 1954.
State Theater, closed for modernization for nearly
a year, reopened with cinemascope and vistavision screen, 1955.
July 15 -- First electric car operated to Perryville,
Direct Line, Inc. sold to Cazeault Brothers of Oxford, with Webster-Southbridge
service to be continued, 1954.
First National Bank of Webster purchased two-story
building at Main and Sigourney Sts., Oxford. This would be razed and new branch
bank to be erected on site, 1961.
Newly constructed branch bank of Webster
Five Cents Savings opened on Main St., Oxford, 1965.
Atty. J. C. Genereux named
special assistant attorney general by Atty. General Edward Brooke, 1965.
July 16 -- The old Slater store at Pond and East Main Sts. was constructed
and opened as a remnant store, 1925.
The largest single donation to the Webster
District Hospital Fund was made by H. N. Slater who donated the sum of $1,000,
Rep. Dr. Wilfred Bazinet, who served three terms as representative,
announced he would be candidate for the Republican nomination for state senator,
Fritz Kuhn, leader of German Bund of Nazi party arrested in Webster by
Officer Henry "Buck" Plasse, 1939.
Ground breaking for the new United
Church of Christ took place, 1954.
July 17 -- Building on
Main Street by H.M. Dresser was occupied as post office by Postmaster A. E. Day,
A carnival for St. Anthony's church was opened on the church grounds
on School Street, 1925.
"The Old Freight House" located in the rear
of the Trull Lumber Company was torn down by the Norwich and Worcester railroad,
Fiftieth jubilee of Polish-American Citizens Club of Webster, 1954.
J. Mackowiecki of Worcester was appointed fifth grade teacher in the School St.
School announced Superintendant of Schools George A. Sellig, 1959.
18 -- Manufacture of woolen goods at South Village mill started by Samuel
Rev. James W. Dolan, a former curate at St. Louis Church, died
in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Boston, after a short illness, 1939.
Anna R. Winter
was named to the faculty at Bartlett High School, succeeding Margaret F. Oakes,
Property at corner of East Main and Prospect Street, former Slater property
was sold by Atty. Leonard Leboeuf to Edward Lavoie. Old home at corner razed to
make way for new business structure, 1957.
19 -- Slater Guards left Webster to train for battle, 1861.
Plans for a
special town meeting whereby the town may take try eminent domain Second Island
bathing beach were quickly made following receipt of a letter from Attorney George
G. Stobbs indicating that any individuals who went to the beach were trespassers
at this location and further occupancy would be subject to legal rememdies, 1944.
L. Sadler, head of vocational schools in Webster for many years, resigned as library
trustee, and moved family to Worcester to take new position, 1951.
added to Mohegan Bowl-a-drome as interest increased in bowling as family sport,
Despite an oppressive heat, more than 600 voters turned out for a special
town meeting to back an Advisory Board proposed calling for the use of town-owned
land off of Cody St. as site for proposed new fire and police station. They emphatically
shelved Planning Board recommendations for the purchase of property on East Main
July 20 -- Webster Brass Band gave concert at East Village
in front of the Hermitage, home of H. N. Slater, 1869.
Bob Ingraham was named
president of the Webster-Dudley Little League, succeeding Harold Knox who resigned,
Lamoureux home on Negus Street sold to N.E.Telephone Co. for site of
dial system building, 1955.
North Grosco, Inc. a realty company, organized
by area subscribers and $275,000 raised to reopen Cluett-Peabody mill, 1955.
area and other extensive development started at Second Island Memorial Beach,
July 21 -- Two employees
of the Internal Revenue Bureau began a door-to-door canvass along Main St. to
root-out delinquent income taxpayers, 1953.
Announcement was made that a highway
extending from Gore Rd. to East Douglas would be completed and ready for travel
within a month, 1939.
Emil Eisenberg, vice president of Bentley Shoe Corp.,
announced that the plant stitching room had been modernized during the vacation
School St. School, built in 1869 and rebuilt in 1919, was razed,
In one of the largest turnovers in years in the Webster Public Schools,
22 teachers were appointed, according to Superintendant George A. Sellig, 1968.
July 22 -- Longest blackout in area during
1 hour and 20 minute Civil Defense test, under Frank Wylie and George Allen. All
traffic halted, wardens patrolled every street. Five persons brought into court
for "pleasure driving" on rationed gas, 1943.
Voters approved establishment of Bartlett High School Trade School in old Rock
Castle building on Prospect Street, 1946.
Vandals smashed monuments and overturned
gravestones at Calvary Cemetery, 1953.
Anthony Szamocki and Anthony Strzelewicz
were named sergeants on the police force, the two top men in Civil Service exams,
First National Bank announced a branch would be established in Oxford,
Frank G. Kornoff, Jr., appointed teacher and head football coach at
Bartlett High, 1955.
Dedication at newly renovated American Legion Home, 1965.
July 23 -- Jennie Christopher loses life
in fire that destroys cottages at Webster Lake, 1931.
Richard J. Murphy, 70,
owner of the Joslin House, was stricken at his home on Thompson Rd. and died a
short time afterward of a heart attack, 1939.
Laval Leboeuf appointed special counsel to advise Sewer Commissioners in Sewage
Disposal System problems, 1953.
Rt. Rev. Monsignor Andrew Lekarczyk died at
St. Joseph rectory, 1965.
Bay State Open Ski Tournament held at Nipmuc Cove
on Webster Lake, 1965.
July 24 -- Webster tax rate announced
as $10.50 for year, 1906.
Ideal Orchestra furnished the music for a public
dance held at the Point Breeze Pavilion, 1929.
At a special town meeting Webster
voters rejected the proposal to start construction of a sewage system with a grant
of $178,000 in Federal Funds, 1938.
Charles Roedelbron, who lived in "The
Long House" where Soldiers Monument now stands, died.
Rev. Peter J. Samorajski
curate at St. Joseph's parish for 16 years was appointed pastor of St. Stanislaus
parish in West Warren, 1958.
July 25 -- Nelso Ross fund, bequeathed to Webster Hospital 20 years earlier, turned over
to Webster District Hospital, 1931.
Philip Nims of Worcester was elected president
of the Killdeer Island Community Club, 1938.
Five new firemen were appointed
by the Board of Fire Engineers. Named were Richard Andrews, Leo Bergeron, Nobel
Mason Jr., Anthony Pepka and Joseph Poblocki, 1949.
Miss Mary L. Hefner retired after serving 31 years as a Samaritan nurse,
Memorial Beach expanded
by 500 feet at one end and filled with sand by Highway Department, 1955.
to Sons of Israel Synagogue on High Street dedicated, 1957.
July 27 --One-story building adjoining Eddy Block, now Hometown Bank building
on Main St., opened as candy store by Gilbert Osborne, 1891.
in Perryville sold by Parsons and Perry estates to occupants, 1944.
Joseph F. Gibney announced to Chamber of Commerce and town officials that state
would begin construction of connector link from Connecticut line to Thompson Road
in Webster, 1961.
July 28 -- Hezekiah Conant, benefactor to Dudley,
born in that town, 1827.